Welcome to the HPCI Website!
Health Policy Corporation of Iowa (HPCI) is a coalition of employers and other purchasers developing joint initiatives, conducting research and education, and applying solutions to improve the quality and affordability of health care in Iowa.
HPCI has identified two goals and is engaged in joint initiative in Iowa to address fundamental issues in the health care system through collaborative efforts and the use of sound purchasing and quality improvements principles.
Goal 1: Employers (purchasers) receive the greatest value for dollars invested in health care in local Markets and providers receive economic and other incentives to improve performance.
Goal 2: Contribute to improvements in the health of the community.
Individual employers and other purchasers use many strategies for addressing health care costs and quality on their own. HPCI adds value by helping focus attention and mobilize actions that are best done on a collective or coalition basis involving numerous employers, other purchasers and consumers across Iowa markets.
HPCI Efforts Focus on the Following:
- Transparency of health care performance; public reporting of health care provider cost, quality, delivery, patient safety and outcomes;
- Consumerism in health care;
- Bridging health care and its customers (customer-focus, linkages and benchmarks);
- Applying quality/cost/delivery/safety (QCDS) metrics and other LEAN tools;
- LEAN Enterprise; LEAN health care transformation; TPS and LEAN/Six Sigma;
- Purchasing on the value stream;
- Support and apply national efforts such as the Consumer- Purchaser Disclosure Project, Catalyst for Payment Reform, Business Roundtable founded Leapfrog Group, National Quality Forum, Agency for Health Care Research and Quality, and CMS Health Care Compare.