Our Mission, Goals & Priorities
The Health Policy Corporation of Iowa (HPCI) is Iowa’s business group on health. HPCI develops joint initiatives, conducting research and education, and applying solutions to improve the quality and affordability of health care in Iowa. HPCI has identified two goals and is engaged in a joint initiative in Iowa to address fundamental issues in the health care system through collaborative efforts and the use of sound purchasing and quality improvements principles.
Goal 1: Employers (purchasers) receive the greatest value for dollars invested in health care in local markets and providers receive economic and other incentives to improve performance.
Goal 2: Contribute to improvements in the health of the community.
Individual employers and other purchasers use many strategies for addressing health care costs and quality on their own. HPCI adds value by helping focus attention and mobilize actions that are best done on a collective or coalition basis involving numerous employers, other purchasers and consumers across Iowa markets.
PRIORITIES FOR 2013-2014
- Promote transparency and Public Reporting. Meaningful comparative performance information assists purchasers and consumers with wise decision making. It also is an important catalyst for needed change and improvement in health care.
- Support public disclosure of health provider’s quality, cost, and outcomes of care.
- Sponsor the Greater Iowa Leapfrog Group Regional Rollout and Hospital Safety Scores.
- Develop a new price transparency initiative.
- Support and apply national resources such as the Consumer - Purchaser Disclosure Project, the Catalyst for Payment Reform, the Business Roundtable founded Leapfrog Group, Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the National Quality Forum.
- Produce the Chartbook of the Quality and Financial Performance of the Health Industry in Greater Iowa and Companion Reports.
- Work the Iowa General Assembly, Governor’s office, legislative health reform groups and others on key issues and promote our priorities.
- Empower, inform and engage consumers/employees (“Consumerism” and healthy lifestyles).
- Engage employees/consumers to practice healthy lifestyle behaviors and make informed decisions.
- Publish and distribute the Consumers’ Health Guide for Greater Iowa series and “Ask Your Doctor” series.
- Research and report on plan design changes including HSAs, integrated benefits and value-based benefits.
- Carry-out education, research and communications.
- Publish HPCI News twelve times per year with distribution to over 500 Iowa leaders.
- Hold annual state-wide conference with IHBA.
- Conduct research on key health issues at the state and local levels.
- Carryout news media communications.
- Collaborate with providers, health plans, consumer groups and purchasers.
- Engage stakeholders to develop, deploy, and execute quality-drive, value-based health care with transparency and public disclosure of quality, cost, and outcomes of care.
- • Recognize and encourage Lean transformation in Iowa’s health industry.
- Conduct "Bridging Health and the Customer Project" using Lean tools.
- Serve as a resource to HPCI members/investors.